Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The Tale of Two Nations 3


Ethiopian and African-American Relations:
A Brief Timeline

by Andrew Laurence

1896

Ethiopia emerges as one of the fiercely independent nations in Africa, especially after its victory over the Italians in the Battle of
Adwa.

African-Americans increasing look towards Ethiopia and it’s Emperor Menelik II, as a bastion of independence in a continent colonized by European powers.

When the Italians under Mussolini again invade the country 40 years later, Africans worldwide support H.I.M. Haile Selassie’s efforts to regain freedom for Ethiopia, and celebrate on May 5, 1941, when the Emperor returns in triumph to Addis Ababa.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now is different history. I was in DC for short vacation the some time visiting Howard University. From Howard I walked to U Street were a lot of Ethiopian restaurants and shops located. That is when I met this African American man. we started to talk for hours about DC and African American, Ethiopian. What I heard form me was that, African American and Ethiopian in DC did not have any friendship or communications in the community. I was very surprised. Not only that that man told me I am the fist Ethiopian to talked him for long pride of time.

Why this is happening in DC ?

Selam said...

Thank you so much for leaving a comment.

We are still in the process of understanding each other and reestablishing our kinship.

Please come back and leave your comments again.